The use of virtual teams creates new possibilities when acquiring project team members. Virtual teams can be defined as groups of people with a shared goal who fulfill their roles with little or no time spent meeting face to face. The availability of electronic communication such as e-mail and video conferencing has made such teams feasible. The virtual team format makes it possible to:
• Form teams of people from the same company who live in widespread geographic areas;
• Add special expertise to a project team even though the expert is not in the same geographic area;
• Incorporate employees who work from home offices;
• Form teams of people who work different shifts or hours;
• Include people with mobility handicaps; and
• Move forward with projects that would have been ignored due to travel expenses.
Communication planning becomes increasingly important in a virtual team environment. Additional time may be needed to set clear expectations, facilitate communications, develop protocols for resolving conflict, include people in decision-making, and share credit in successes.
Was this article helpful?
What you need to know about… Project Management Made Easy! Project management consists of more than just a large building project and can encompass small projects as well. No matter what the size of your project, you need to have some sort of project management. How you manage your project has everything to do with its outcome.