Start the project with a strong foundation. The templates and checklist you find on the next several pages address the key actions required to initiate the project with clear goals, effective communication, and management support.
1. The project proposal assembles the information necessary for a sponsor or project selection board.
2. A project sponsor can use the charter template to formally authorize the project and project manager.
3. The statement of work represents the formal agreement between project stakeholders about the goals and constraints of the project.
4. The responsibility matrix clarifies the role and authority of each project stakeholder.
5. Effective communication is no accident. Use the communication planning matrix to identify who needs what information and how you'll be sure to get it to them. Remember that having more mediums of communication increases the likelihood your message will get through.
6. As you initiate the project, use the definition checklist to guide the team.
Every one of these templates is available for download at www.versatilecompany.com/forms. Use these documents as the foundation of your own project management standards.
Was this article helpful?
What you need to know about… Project Management Made Easy! Project management consists of more than just a large building project and can encompass small projects as well. No matter what the size of your project, you need to have some sort of project management. How you manage your project has everything to do with its outcome.